Huawei Mate 20 Pro
To be honest, for the past one or two years smartphones have become boring. In the sense that you always know what to expect whenever there is a new release. Cliché, that is the word I believe. I do applaud companies like Oppo for daring to change what smartphones have to offer especially with design and build.
Check out Oppo Find X for example. And Huawei has just joined the big boys club by introducing some fresh ideas with their new smartphones Huawei Mate 20, Huawei Mate 20 Pro and Huawei Mate 20 Lite as we will learn in a few moments. This review however is for Huawei Mate 20 Pro which has the following features.
- GSM (2G), HSPA (3G) and LTE (4G) network technology
- Front/back glass & aluminum frame
- Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 2m for 30 mins)
- AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 6.39 inches, 100.2 cm2 (~87.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- 1440 x 3120 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~538 ppi density)
- Corning Gorilla Glass (unspecified version)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm) chipset
- Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU
- Mali-G76 MP10 GPU
- NM card, up to 256GB (uses SIM 2)
- 256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 128 GB, 6 GB RAM
- Main Camera: 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF/Laser AF
20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultra wide), 1/2.7″, PDAF/Laser AF
8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 5x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF
- Video recording 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps
- Selfie camera 24 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide), 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker with stereo speakers
- Type-C to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GPS with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Infrared port
- Face ID, fingerprint (under display)
- Non-removable Li-Po 4200 mAh battery
- Fast battery charging 40W (70% in 30 min)
- Qi wireless fast charging 15W
- Reverse wireless charging
- Available in colors Emerald Green, Midnight Blue, Twilight, Pink Gold and Black
Design and build
Huawei Mate 20 Pro is a phablet smartphone that stands tall at 157.8 x 72.3 x 8.6 mm. And by tall I am being particular to the fact that one handed usage is almost impossible for them with fairly tiny hands. It is made out of glass and aluminum. With corning gorilla glass on the front and back and aluminum frames all round. This gives it a premium look and feel. Speaking of feel it will impress you how this phone has good grip, thanks to the tape texture on the back of it.
It isn’t one of those phones that slide out of your hands or pocket. I love that it is IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 2m for 30 mins) that means you don’t have to worry much when accidentally your phone drops in liquid for the stipulated criteria of time and depth above. The back of this phone has an interesting look, new actually and it probably is the first thing you will notice about it. It has a black square tile that houses three cameras (we shall discuss them later on in this review) and the led flash in a 4 dots of a dice fashion.
This is something new especially in the Mate line and I’m guessing it is the direction Huawei is looking to take with its future smartphones. It does looks uniquely good I have to say. The front on the other side has a notch that houses the IR lens for face recognition Face ID, proximity sensor and the selfie camera. I see no side bezels here on the display but a slim bottom bezel I do. As always Huawei branding is on the bottom back of the Mate 20 Pro.
Notice there is no fingerprint scanner on the back or front of this phone, well that is because it is embedded beneath the display. Lift your phone up and you see a fingerprint animation where you pressure place your finger to unlock your phone. Not the fastest way to unlock your phone though, heads up.
Display and camera
What do we know about it? It has an AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 6.39 inches, 100.2 cm2 (~87.9% screen-to-body ratio). That’s pretty much it. With 1440 x 3120 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~538 ppi density) resolution and Corning Gorilla Glass protection. It is a very descent display with great color presentation. AMOLED panels are best known for their impressive reputation and that is what we get here.
I believe this is yet another selling point of this smartphone. One by one, the primary camera has three lenses. The first a wide 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm, the second a 20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm ultrawide one and the other an 8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm telephoto lens. That’s it, one is a wide lens, the other ultawide and the last a telephoto lens.
Together Huawei describes them as the Thinking Lens? Pretty much because of the Artificial intelligence features these cameras posses, like identity objects for example. Video recording here is 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps.
The selfie camera up front is a 24 MP, f/2.0, 26mm wide lens with 1080p@30fps video recording capability. All four are super impressive at their designated tasks. Is ay an 8.5 out of 10 for camera performance on this phone.
Platform and memory
This beast runs on Android Pie (9.0). Goodbye Nougat. It has Huawei’s own HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7 nm) chipset, an Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) CPU and a Mali-G76 MP10 GPU. Memory is a 256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 128 GB, 6 GB RAM and can be further expanded using NM card, up to 256GB (uses SIM 2), not the SD card we are familiar with.
By the way, Huawei claims this phone is up to 40% faster than all other Mate smartphones before it, a claim that I find some truth in. The company guarantees that this phone will not lag for the first 18 months of after purchase.
You see it packs a non-removable Li-Po 4200 mAh battery. Reverse wireless charging is a new feature here where you can use your Huawei Mate 20 Pro to charge phones that support wireless charging. Anyway Fast battery charging 40W (70% in 30 min) and Qi wireless fast charging 15W are on deck.
A phone I would easily and confidently recommend. Check its official webpage out HERE. Buy it in Emerald Green, Midnight Blue, Twilight, Pink Gold or Black
For the latest Huawei smartphones visit here