Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018)
I feel I should begin this review as a letter to you because what lies ahead is quite new, and exciting. The Samsung Galaxy A9 (2019). Now unless a smartphone manufacturer introduces something new or different on a smartphone, reviewing it can be quite an uninteresting experience. I applaud Samsung for saving me that kind of feeling. I did too when they pioneered the curved edge screen back in 2015 I guess? Or there about.
And here, with and on the Galaxy A9 (2018) they have pioneered yet another addition. Let us keep this interesting by letting the suspense go on. But I promise that somewhere along this review I will mention what this new thing that I find quite intriguing is, I actually must otherwise this review will be void (considering it seems to be the A9 2018’s selling point). First we take a look at the main features of the A9 (2018) then later on we shall do a descriptive review of it. Below it goes.
Oh and I have to mention that this phone is also known as the Samsung Galaxy A9 Star Pro or the Samsung Galaxy A9s. I thought you should know.
- GSM, HSPA, LTE network technology
- Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- – Samsung Pay
- Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 6.3 inches, 100.7 cm2 (~80.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- 1080 x 2220 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio (~392 ppi density)
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Qualcomm SDM660 Snapdragon 660 (14 nm) chipset
- Octa-core (4×2.2 GHz Kryo 260 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260) CPU
- Adreno 512 GPU
- Micro SD, up to 512 GB (dedicated slot)
- 128 GB, 6/8 GB RAM
- Primary camera: 24 MP, f/1.7, PDAF
8 MP, f/2.4, 12mm (ultra wide)
10 MP f/2.4, (telephoto), 2x optical zoom
5 MP, f/2.2, depth sensor
- LED flash, panorama, HDR
- 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps video recording
- Selfie camera 24 MP, f/2.0
- 1080p@30fps video recording
- 3.5 mm jack- – Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- FM radio
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Fingerprint (rear-mounted)
- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3800 mAh battery
- – Fast battery charging
- Available in colors Caviar Black, Lemonade Blue or Bubblegum Pink.
Communication and networking
It is a 4G enabled smartphone this. You know what that means, faster internet speeds. That also means it is 3G and 2G enabled and that you can switch at will. Then there is Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, an FM Radio and NFC here. Speaking of NFC, it comes in very handy with that Samsung Pay feature that allows you to swipe using your smartphone in the same manner you would with an ATM card. Just a few guided steps and you are good to go.
Design and build
The deign here is clean and the build solid. It is on the back of this phone that we see something interesting going on. At first I thought it was just mere impression until it was confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) has four cameras on the back. I will discuss these cameras later on in this article. So yes on the back (top right) are those cameras in vertical orientation. Then we also see a fingerprint scanner and Samsung branding. There is also that LED flash just below the primary camera(s).
The front part has that tall 6.3 inches display panel facing you, one that is sandwiched by a clean bottom bezel chin and a top bezel that houses the camera, sensors and call speaker. I also have to mention that the corners of this display are somewhat rounded. The power button and volume rocker have been placed on the same side of the Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) with the power button below the volume’s.
Display and camera
Friends, this one comes with a Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen. Super AMOLED speaks for itself, or should I say shows? There is actually nothing like Super AMOLED (in smartphone display) yet- in my opinion. If you want a great display, make sure you go for Super AMOLED and that is just what you get on Galaxy A9 2018’s display. It is a 6.3 inches panel with 1080 x 2220 pixels resolution. Two words, crisp and clear. With ~392 ppi density it is one display that will be visible in outdoor conditions.
This is the selling point of the Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) for very obvious reasons. It comes with five cameras. Do tell, when did you ever hear of such a thing? That is four on the back and one on the front. The front facing camera is a Selfie camera with 24 MP and f/2.0.
Let us now talk about these four lenses.
- 24 MP, f/1.7, PDAF- This is the main camera. Had it come with only one lens then this would be the one. It is meant to take pictures just like any other camera phone. Its main function is to take normal pictures.
- 8 MP, f/2.4, 12mm- This is the second lens and it is an ultra-wide lens. That simply means it shoots a wider estate than the main camera. It comes in very handy when you want to shoot a wide area without having to sacrifice some objects in the scene.
- 10 MP f/2.4 is our third telephoto camera lens that has 2x optical zoom which allows you to zoom into your object of interest with close to no detail lost as a result.
- Then the last lens is a 5 MP, f/2.2, depth sensor that as the name suggests is a depth sensor. With this you can get images with blurred backgrounds for example.
My verdict for the camera performance on the Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) is 8.3 out of 10. Impressive camera performance here.
Performance and memory
It runs Android 8.0 (Oreo) with a Qualcomm SDM660 Snapdragon 660 (14 nm) chipset, an Octa-core (4×2.2 GHz Kryo 260 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260) CPU and an Adreno 512 GPU.
Internal memory on the A9 (2018) is 128 GB with either 6/8 GB RAM. It can be expanded using Micro SD, up to 512 GB (dedicated slot).
With it comes a sealed within non-removable Li-Ion 3800 mAh battery that should hold up just fine. Battery patterns vary from user to user. There is Fast battery charging for it.
Buy a brand new Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) at Phone Place Kenya today.
For more Samsung smartphones click here