Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
This is Xiaomi’s next attempt towards an almost bezel-less smartphone. It is Xiaomi that started this battle and the company as continued in it ever since, without looking back. This is a very interesting smartphone especially with regards to its design. I shall be talking about this in a few. First, we take a look at its key features bearing in mind it is the successor of Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 of 2017. Careful, the names might mix you up- pun intended.
Features of Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
- GSM, CDMA, HSPA, EVDO and LTE network technology
- Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Front glass, aluminium frame, ceramic back
- 5.99 inches, 92.6 cm2 (~81.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)
- Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10
- Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10 nm chipset)
- Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) CPU
- Adreno 630 GPU
- 256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 64/128 GB, 6 GB RAM
- Primary camera: 12 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, 4-axis OIS, dual pixel PDAF
12 MP, f/2.4, 1/3.4″, 1.0µm, AF, 2x optical zoom
- 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/120fps, 720p@240fps
- Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
- Selfie camera: 5 MP, f/2.0, 1/4″, 1.4µm
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3400 mAh battery
- -Qi wireless charging 7.5W
- -Fast battery charging 18W (Quick Charge 3.0)
- Colors: black or white
- Models: Mi Mix 2S, Mix 2S
Design and build
Congratulation Xiaomi for successfully getting rid of the top bezel without using a notch of any kind on Xiaomi Mi 2S. Also receive my congratulations for keeping the side bezels as minimum as possible. So where is the selfie camera though? Wait for it. It is on the chin of this smartphone on its LHS and your right. Such that when you want to take a selfie you will be required to rotate your phone 180o
Such experiments trigger mixed reactions of course. But personally, I think it’s nice.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S has a ceramic glass build which gives it a premium look and feel. The frames are made of aluminum metal. On the back, besides the dual camera setup on the top right corner we also see a rear mounted fingerprint scanner. Volume rocker is above the power button on the left side whereas the other side has been kept button free. It weighs about 191 grams this phone and is rather thick at 8.1mm.
Display and camera
Although the display here is an IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen instead of AMOLED, it does hold up fine. With a large 5.99 inches display panel you get to enjoy all screen interactions on a bezel-less smartphone (top) of 82% screen-to-body ratio. You will also admire its 1080 x 2160 pixels resolution and 18:9 aspect ratio. I love that it has a 403 ppi density and the panel is corning Gorilla Glass 4 coated for protection and durability.
Three cameras on a smartphone is enough. Or at least most people feel the same way. If a company has to go all out then four lenses should do just okay, yes? There’s some multiple-camera lenses game in the market recently that isn’t so welcoming. Anyway, moving on.
The primary camera here consists of two lenses one a 12MP OIS shooter and the other another 12MP 2x zoom camera lens. Video recording is 4K thanks to its very supportive Snapdragon chipset that allows for this. The selfie camera which you have to rotate your phone to shoot with is a 1080p video 5MP lens.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S runs on Android 8.0 (Oreo) from its package which is upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie) on MIUI 10. There’s a theme store to customize your, well, themes.
A Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 chipset and an Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) CPU power it with the visual and graphics made possible because of Adreno 630 GPU.
Storage and memory
Regretfully there is no support for external storage expansion. But the good news is that either the 256 GB +8 GB RAM or the 64/128 GB + 6 GB RAM not only have workable internal storages but also powerful memories. 6GB RAM for example is no joke, all tasks will be handled effectively.
It has a non-removable Li-Ion 3400 mAh battery capacity that should last at most a whole day of usage. And charging options include Qi wireless charging 7.5W or fast battery charging 18W (Quick Charge 3.0). There wireless charger is bought separately though.
It is a smartphone easy to recommend really the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S. The white version is less a fingerprint magnate whereas the black version has some attractive vibe going with it. The choice is yours. Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S is a perfect and affordable high end smartphone, again- an easy one to recommend.