Xiaomi Redmi 7A
How in the world, in 2019 did Xiaomi manage to release a smartphone this affordable? This must be a mystery. But I am about to solve it for you. This one has had quite some hype for all the right reasons. Its price being the first. I will be telling you about the others.
Now this is a budget smartphone let’s get that out of the way. But in truth, it doesn’t feel like it. looking only at the specs, I’d have thought it was a mid-rage smartphone. Or maybe I am exaggerating I don’t know. You’ll be the judge by the end of this review. First take a look at its main features.
Xiaomi Redmi 7A Features
- GSM, HSPA and LTE network technology
- Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Splash resistant
- IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 5.45 inches, 76.7 cm2 (~74.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- 720 x 1440 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~295 ppi density)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 9
- Qualcomm SDM439 Snapdragon 439 (12 nm) chipset
- Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 & 6×1.45 GHz Cortex A53) CPU
- Adreno 505 GPU
- 32 GB, 2/3 RAM or 16 GB, 2 GB RAM
- microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- Primary camera: 13 MP, f/2.2, 1.12µm, PDAF – China
- Or 12 MP, f/2.2, 1/2.9″, 1.25µm, PDAF – India
- Selfie camera 5 MP, f/2.2, 1.12µm
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth 4.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- FM Radio, built-in antenna
- microUSB 2.0
- Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery
- Fast battery charging 10W – China only
- Colors: Matte Black, Morning blue, Matte Blue, Matte Gold
Okay, before we proceed, I want to clarify something. Xiaomi Redmi 7A (the phone under review) comes in two models.
- India model – which has a 12MP primary camera
- China model – which has 13MP primary camera and fast 10W battery charging
I advise you insist on the latter, for reasons I do not have to spell out. Every other thing about these two models are the same.
Design and build
First of all, I want you to know this. Xiaomi Redmi 7A could be the only budget smartphone out there that is splash resistant. At your own risk- you can test the waters with it. Its build is plastic of course and it is a cap that covers the back panel all the way to the frames. It is a compact smartphone with a height 146mm and width 70mm. Its build also sees it weigh about 165 grams. The front panel has a bottom bezel branded Redmi, and a top bezel with the selfie camera and LED flash. These two bezels sandwich a 5.45-inch display panel.
display and camera
Surely if you are asking for an LED panel here, I need to inform you that you ask for too much. Here we can only get an IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen that has support for 16M colors and multi touch. It is 5.45 inches as already mentioned, with a 76.7 cm2 area and 74.4% screen-to-body ratio. Resolution is an acceptable 720 x 1440 pixels (~295 ppi density). It is an okay display hey! For its price, it is actually great.
There is a 5MP front facing camera on Xiaomi Redmi 7A and it is so good with its video recording. With the right lighting conditions, Redmi 7A cameras shoot some surprisingly nice photos. This applies for the main camera on the back as well. One camera feature you can be assured is on board here is High Definition Recording- neat.
Imagine, you are getting yourself an Android 9.0 (Pie) smartphone with MIUI 9– just unbelievable. It is Qualcomm SDM439 Snapdragon 439 (12 nm) chipset device and has an Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 & 6×1.45 GHz Cortex A53) CPU with Adreno 505 GPU. Not bad at all.
Internal storage of Xiaomi Redmi 7A is either 32 GB with 2/3 RAM or 16 GB running 2 GB RAM. Either can be expanded using an SD card.
When a budget smartphone packs a 4000 mAh non-removable Li-Po battery, you know you are up for power ride. I say 2 days until next charge will be required. Do not be surprised if you make it to three. Remember that battery charging is fast at 10W on the China mode only.
Consider buying Xiaomi Redmi 7A in color Matte Black, Morning blue, Matte Blue or Matte Gold today. It is a budget phone easy to recommend.
Get the latest Xiaomi Smartphones in Kenya Here